Why are you to afraid to self-promote?

Self-promotion is expected and accepted! . . . . . All content in blog copyright 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Doris Gaines Rapp

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

LinkedIn to What?


We have been discussing why people are reluctant or afraid to promote themselves and their work. This blog focuses on "Why not?"
Part of "Why not" may be a lack of knowledge. The last post dealt with the ease in setting up your own website. Just click on “1and1 Website Building” – under “Build Your Own Website – Follow 1and1 below,” in the right column of this blog. You will go directly to the website building program I used for my website. It is very affordable.
Today, the topic of LinkedIn will be addressed in case lack of knowledge is part of your, "But I can't." I have received many invitations to link to others on LinkedIn but knew so little about it I bought LinkedIn for Dummies.
I will be sending my new book, Promote Yourself, to the printer in a few days. I have included small paragraphs about social media sites. For LinkedIn I wrote, "There are First-degree connections – people you know; Second-degree network members – people who know at least one of you first-degree connections (friends of friends); and Third-degree network members – friends of your friends’ friends.) The chain that is built of connections and network members is vast and long and begins with a friend of yours. Remember the game Six Degrees of Separation? That’s LinkedIn." 
I am very new to LinkedIn. It is easy to see how one could be connected to millions of people through this site. What I don't know yet is, do any of those linked members ever look back and see the information posted by others? I will announce the publication release of  Promote Yourself on LinkedIn and see if the information flows along the millions of connections or snaps a link in the chain before it ever gets beyond "friends." I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment